by Marian Gladys Baring, Asst. Sports Editor
Mike Limpag, Sports Editor
IN ITS desire to have a smooth staging of its 10th season, the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) is revamping the list of its tournament managers in all the league’s events this year.
Cesafi commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy said they have decided to change the managers of two events.
“We will have different tournament directors for volleyball and football,” said Tiukinhoy.
Tiukinhoy said he will be talking to Cebu Volleyball Association president Jun San Juan and to former Cebu Football Association head Jonathan Maximo to run their events this year.
Cesafi had always wanted to tap Ceva for their volleyball competitions but both organizations seem to disagree on the fees for the officials. Last year, the volleyball competition was also the most controversial event and had three coaches banned from the Cesafi for life.
That incident has forced Cesafi to rethink working with Ceva again.
“We already had initial talks with San Juan. I will be talking to him and Maximo this week to finalize everything,” said Tiukinhoy.
In football, Tiukinhoy said he wants to tap the services of Maximo, because he wasn’t satisfied with how the event was run last year.
Out of reach
“We had a hard time last year because we could barely contact our tournament manager and we had no idea how the games were going.
It was so hard to get the results. Maximo was very efficient as an organizer so we hope he agrees to help us out again this year,” said Tiukinhoy.
This week, Tiukinhoy will also meet with choreographers, school representatives and the marketing arm of the tournament to discuss the opening of the Cesafi season set at the end of the month.
“We hired the services of a marketing arm to take care of this. We want to make it special because it is our 10th year,” Tiukinhoy said.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 5, 2010.